Author Topic: Installing SPINE  (Read 6206 times)

Laurie Smith

• View Profile
Installing SPINE
« on: 15-Jul-2008, 11:17:32 »
Hi
I'm a new user, attempting to install SPINE for the first time, and not doing very well at it. :oops:
Download works OK; I get spine42.exe (although not the self installing image, as described in Readme). But my PC refuses to run it, complaining that it is not a valid Win32 application.  I guess this is just a part of the security system, but I don't know how to work round it.
My PC is running Windows XP, with service packs 1, 2, and 3, and I am also running AVG.
Any suggestions please?

jeff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Goodenough's Pages
Installing SPINE
« Reply #1 on: 15-Jul-2008, 16:26:31 »
It's probable that the file did not download properly. I have just tried it (again) and it's OK.

Please try downloading again, then check the size - it should be 419KB. Double click on the file to install.

Laurie Smith

• View Profile
Installing SPINE
« Reply #2 on: 15-Jul-2008, 18:20:47 »
Hi Jeff
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Have tried again, and everything installs OK.

Phil King

• View Profile
Re: Installing SPINE
« Reply #3 on: 25-Apr-2009, 10:41:01 »
I had the same problem.  In case anyone else has the same problem, here is what I did to get around it ...

I tried downloading several times and the exe was always 161KB instead of the correct length of 441KB.  I went into my McAffe Virus Scan console and switched off Buffer Overflow Protection and retried the download yet again.  This time it downloaded with the correct length of 441KB and runs OK.

I've switched on the Buffer Overflow Protection again because I have some feeling that it is a wise thing to do, however it does seem to interfere with successful download of Spine.  I don't know whether this is unique to McAfee or whether it might apply to other security products.

jeff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Goodenough's Pages
« Reply #4 on: 27-Apr-2009, 20:51:13 »
Aaargh - McAfee! (Still, better than N*rt*n, I suppose... :) ). Do you have problems downloading other similarly-sized files? It could be something to do with the way I download it.

Other products don't have this problem, and here I plug the excellent (and free) Avast! Antivirus which (it says) I am just one of 80 million satisfied users!

Anyway, thanks for the information, and your solution.

Phil King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-May-2009, 22:14:12 »
I haven't noticed problems with any other downloads and I've use McAfee for a long time.